Re: Thinking about SIMM prices and other values...

>maxed out the echoplex today ,,,paid $15.71 a piece for 30 pin
>also discovered a source for 1 megs for $2.00 each (US)...pretty
>reasonable...

you know, of course I am extrememly happy with those falling prices. But
sometimes I stop and think: Where are we going? Will one day an egg be more
expensiv than a computer?
Is that closer to the real value, maybe? After all, there are still a lot
more cells in an egg than the lousy 32 million of a 4M SIMM.

We build our music in those 4 or 30$ of memory and they are the working
bench for so many people in all categoies (I put 8 bits on them, each time
I type  n o w) Does that say anything about the value of my writing or our
music?
So is it possible that in a few millions of cells there lives something
more valuable than an egg is? And how about a brain?

In turn we bring "life" into those clumsy SIMM cells :-)

All we consider important and beautifull and all we know about history -
from facts to feelings to dreams - is saved as a bunch of bits on some CD
or CDROM, and those might exist much longer than mankind. May they serve a
future civilization? So what we really do is to document this civilization
into its final phase as long as we can?
... and then the aliens come and get the CDs and watch them to have a laugh
before bedtime :-). Or they are on the net and laugh about me now :-).

So there is a slight chance that our music might contributing a tiny bit to
a new birth of something - like the oversized brain and the overcoming of
the "natural" fear of fire contributed to the creation of mankind?

How soon computers will be able to reprocriate as long as we feed some
machines with raw materials? (thats where the egg is still much smarter, so
far)

Sorry for the distracton.