Re: Data compression, twitch factors, knee jerks and God

At 01:25 PM 1/15/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Umm, so are the Loop Doctors saying that they actually hear a degradation
>in sound from the compression schemes used in MiniDisc recording?
>
>-Adam

I'm not sure if that's what they were saying bit I say that in comparison
to DAT or HDR, there is a discernable degradation in sound quality from
a MiniDisc that I would attribute to the lossy compression schemes used
by the format.

I think the use is not all that important.  MD, IMO is a "consumer" format
with the usual sonic compromises inherent to most mass market consumer
audio products.  DAT and HDR are largely "professional" formats.  But you
use whatever tool you've got to make your music.

I think we need to find a new topic.  This is soon going to become a
"analog
vs. digital" or "pc vs. mac" type debate.
Jonathan Brainin
jbrainin@interactive.net