Re: Looking for a compressor

At 11:52 1/18/98 -0500, R_T_Cummings wrote:

>I know that the dbx 166A is considered to be somewhat of a classic
>device - but does anybody know about the new dbx 266? I've also
>heard about a 4-channel compressor from Behringer but somebody
>I know once made disparaging remarks about that company's
>products? Anybody know better?

I think the Behringer MDX2100 is great compressor--enough control over the
compression that you don't have to overdo it (an all-too-common compressor
sin) to get good results, and it's very quiet.  (I haven't heard the 2400,
which is what you're describing.)

As for Behringer controversy, they did get in some serious legal trouble
with both Mackie and Aphex for design ripoffs--I won't go into the legal
and ethical quandaries here.  I'd offer that they're like most companies:
some good products, some bad products, many quiet afficionados, and some
loud enemies.  Assuming the warranty is solid (I think it's 5 years), pop
down to the local music shop and let your ears decide.

Scott