Re: any torn concert reviews?

>Did anyone go to see DT in LA the other day? Care to share? How was it?
>Now
>I understand that since David is a resident loopin' luminary, you may need
>to suck up a bit, that's fine. Those of us living in uncultured backwaters
>like san francisco would like the vicarious experience anyway....

Well, since you asked....I went and really enjoyed it.  I had not heard his
music before, so it was a pleasant introduction.  McCabe's is a nice venue
-- really cozy (seats 150) and intimate. The music was a nice blend of
textures and smoking guitar riffs (which were textures unto themselves, I
suppose).   I was especially impressed by the variety of sounds he got,
considering he only had 5 pieces of rack gear.  He used his equipment well,
that is, it seemed virtually transparent..he did not have any frustrating
experiences trying to get something or another to work (as I often
experience).  He opened the set playing an Ud, which sounded absolutely
amazing!  Also, another guitarist joined him for a while, who played a
nylon string guitar, (beautifully).  The two styles blended nicely
together, even though (I suspect) it was fully improvised.

Since David is on this list, I have a few questions, hoping that he is
willing to share some of his trade secrets:

1.  What device creates the lush "synthy" sounds that swell up (seemingly)
in proportion to the intensity of your guitar playing, and how do you
trigger it? (I did not see any midi pickups on your guitar).

2.  What do you control with the (peavey, i think) midi faders?

3.  What was generating the rhythms that you seemed to have pre-recorded?
were they samples? sequences?

4.  What was happening when you kept pressing the button on the old
(Lexicon?) unit?  I could only see the LED numbers changing, but could not
tell what the sonic result was.

Thanks for a delightful and inspiring experience!

- chris