Stick stuff

Doctor Hughes writes:

> Finally, sticks:

> I've been facinated with the Stick for yearsnyears, principally because
of
> the ability to play guitar+bass ranges together (or get in on that big
> piano vibe!).  The one thing that concerns me is the tone of tapped
notes,
> especially in the melody range.  I've tried just tapping on my guitar,
and
> the tone is kinda lifeless and thin (and, I suppose, attack-free).  Is it
> just me?  Is this something that can be improved with technique, or is it
> just part of the instrument?  Has anyone ever managed to get big jazz
tone
> out of a Stick or similar touchboard-style instrument?

Two-handed tapping on a guitar sounds pretty awful IMFO, even if you are
really proficient at it (like Stanley Jordan.)  The tone on a Chapman Stick
or Warr Guitar is quite different from that (and the tone between those two
instruments is quite different.)  The single biggest factor is a
combination of scale length (they're long) and string tension (they're
lower than that of a guitar).  Rest assured that touch-style instruments
can produce a HUGE amount of really rich, detailed tone.

If you're interested, drop me a private e-mail and we can talk about this
more.  There's also a Stick player/dealer in London named Jim Lampi whom
you could contact for more accessible information than I can provide at
this distance (i.e., you can't really come over and play my Warr Guitar--I
mean, you'd be welcome to, but Jim is a more practical option since there's
less of the Atlantic Ocean between you):

Jim Lampi
Iguana Records
9 Mulberry Way,
Barkingside, Essex