Fred Frith

Pete Koniuto wrote:

I've seen/heard Fred Frith's name pop up in numerous
interesting contexts, but don't think i have ever
actually heard his music.

Can anyone here give me some idea of what he's done,
different developmental periods in his career,
contributions to looping, good recordings to start out
with, collaborator's, etc?<

Fred Frith has done all sorts of stuff, he's been around
for quite a while, too. There was a good interview with
him in the Wire recently (Jan. ?) and I think his most
interesting current project is his Guitar Quartet. He's also
famous for being a founding member of Brit avant rockers
Henry Cow and for playing bass in Naked City. However,
the best way to get to know him is by seeing the film
(Art-umentary) "Step Across the Border" which is based
around him, his travels and his music. I personally found
the file extremely inspiring and my girlfriend dug it, too.
And heck, I've got children now (na ... OK jus' one) ...

C-C-C-C-C-C i a o

Rob

P.S. check out his site:    http://www.fredfrith.com/

P.P.S. I gave away the Frith/Kaiser/Etc. CD shortly after
buying it - talk about flat jokes (Surfin' USA ?!?). One thing
about Frith is that he has put out some rather dubious stuff
- sort of "the idea was really coll, but the recording
didn't capture it". But then again there is some really
awesome stuff like the Massacre CD w. B. Laswell and
F. Maher.

Blaaaaaaaa