Re: Smaller Speakers

At 11:33 AM 3/12/98 -0500, Mark Kata wrote:
>Currently I use two EV-12Ls in stereo for looping and general guitar
>havock.
>However, I've been thinking about switching over to smaller diameter
>speakers for increased portability.

speaking of speakers, I've been thinking of getting a small PA setup for
loops and everything else. It would mostly reside in the big room at home,
but should also be relatively portable. I guess the main requirements would
be: sounds good, easy to carry. Any suggestions? Are powered speakers the
way to go? Anybody use the JBL eon series? Also, I have a taste for ground
shaking, butt-wiggling bass. Does that mean a subwoofer, or are there
decent, simple PA's with good enough low end response?

oh, for all you guitar players, I think we established some time ago that
guitar amps just don't cut it for more than simple loops. They just aren't
designed for more complicated sounds and get too muddy. I use a boogie
triaxis/2:90 combo with EV 200W speakers for my guitar, which can be very
clean, but still nothing compared to a PA. And forget about putting
anything
other than guitar sounds through it, the amp colors it too much.

thanks,

kim
Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
Mpact Systems Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research              http://www.chromatic.com