Re: electronica double standard?

matthew hahn <esker@mail.utexas.edu> offered:

>...most dives around here, e.g.
>Paradox a tuck in your shirt and dance to the top forties under 100,000
>watts of sound.

'tuck in your shirt'?  There are actually places with RULES about that?  Or
is that a societal reference?  For instance, in New York - specifically
Manhattan - the phrase "Bridge-And-Tunnel" is used to refer to
non-Manhattanites (Brooklynites, it'd apply to, but I'm not sure they'd put
up with such treatment).  I'd heard the phrase a lot in my clubbing years
back there ('79-84), and just kept my mouth shut. :)

One other item about DJs that I'd found quite by mistake... There's a set
of
terminologies we loopers may also not be prepared for, if not also a
hierarchy as well.  For instance, a browse through newsgroups will yield
alt.musicmakers.dj.bedroom and alt.music.bedroom.producers - and, before
you
all conjure up images of soft music done by folks like Tom Jones and Barry
White (Ohhh, Baby...), here's the scoop!  Apparently there is a sub-class
of
DJing that comprises individuals who don't get Paid for DJing, and mostly
produce recordings out of their (did you get it yet?) bedrooms.  And, yes,
the implication is that they live at home with the parents.  I can't seem
get a straight answer on whether that's a slight against non-established
'acts' (if that's what a DJ 'is'), and their own professional status, or
just a joking reference to what's probably everyone's beginnings.

Anyone here who can enlighten us on this?  Do WE perform this kind of
cordoning-off in our own way?

Stephen Goodman  * It's... The Loop Of The Week!
EarthLight Studios    * http://www.earthlight.net/Studios