RE: electronica double standard?

>In deference to looping and the looping technical aspects which seem to be
>the main focus of the page, I suggest that those of us who would like to
>speak about DJing itself should email one another, or find another outlet.

I wouldn't suggest that. There are a lot of people using looping devices as
a part of their dj approach, and that's certainly appropriate for this
forum. A lot of dj techniques involve repetition of phrases and
manipulation of those, which to me is just another form of this looping
idea. A lot can be learned by sharing these different approaches and
adapting them in different places. A key thing, too, is that dj'ing is a
very live and real-time thing, which is most of what we talk about here.
There's certainly a lot of common ground between that and what a lot of
other people around here are doing. And a lot of dj's are also producers,
where they also make heavy use of various looping approaches.

while there are obviously a lot of guitar oriented people around interested
in real time looping, that's definitely not everyone who is here, and
definitely not all there is about looping. (even though some of them don't
seem to be aware of it, which can be frustrating...)  Some of us here are
very interested in electronic dance music, and are heavily influenced by
various dj's and producers we've listened to, and that's why we started
exploring these ideas in our music. Personally, I would far rather be
talking about dj related loop ideas than tube amps!

This whole looping idea is really quite new, and people are experimenting
with it in a huge array of contexts. Part of the point of Looper's Delight
is to provide a forum for developing these new ideas and sharing info about
loops and looping, where ever it may come from. That's why I created it.
There is no intended preference or bias for guitar players over dj's, or
anything else. Anybody interested in creating and manipulating loops in
real-time is welcome to discuss their ideas here. All I ask is that respect
be shown for the differences, and that we avoid any lame insults or
exclusionary activities, and instead try to learn from each other.

so anyway, feel free to speak up more about these subjects, there are
plenty around who would be happy to join in.

kim