Re: CD-R Blanks

Todd:

The Philips CDR870, for example, is for audio recording only; you can't
backup computer data with it.  But you can record analog or digital sound
without ever turning on a computer, as easily as recording a cassette.  The
catch is that, as a protection device, you are not allowed to use the
cheaper CDRs sold for data--the machine will reject them.  It seems the
"audio" or "consumer" CDR discs sold are identical to the cheap kind, but
have a code which the machine recognizes.  For this, the industry charges
(typically) an extra FIVE DOLLARS on top of the usual two bucks (what I
paid for a single disc at J & R) for a damned disc, supposedly to pay
people like Janet Jackson and Yanni because it's assumed we're copying
their stuff.  Who ever heard of a 250% tax, for god's sake??