Re[2]: ProjeKct 2 @ Palookaville, Santa Cruz, CA...

Subject: Re: ProjeKct 2 @ Palookaville, Santa Cruz, CA...
Author:  "Matt McCabe" <mattm@bi-tech.com> at INTERNET
Date:    3/24/98 10:07 AM

Miko wrote: ProjecKt 2 w/Fripp, Belew and Gunn was pretty awesome friday
night!

Well...looks like I missed meeting Miko and Laurie at P2 concert in SC.
Alas!  A belated howdy to you!!!

        Sorry we missed you!

Is anyone else disturbed by Fripp's use of cheesy guitar synth sounds?  I
mean, if *insert studdly keyboardist name here* played the same piano,
organ, and marimba sounds that Fripp used people would say "That sounds
sucks!"  And it does!!!  What is so fascinating about a guitarist playing
crappy keyboard sounds on a guitar?  Okay....obviously this is a personal
pet peeve.  I just don't get it.

        I've often thought that sometimes was a problem as well. It does
work
        quite well for the soudscaping, where it functions in a very
layered
        built up fashion. If you're talking about his marimba and
xylophone
        cheesy jazz vamps, well... Maybe it's Fripp just being his
hilarious
        self! He's funnier than I gave him credit for. (after reading his

        numerous posts to Elephant Talk.)

Although it was gratifying hearing the much loved Fripp fuzz tone, I left
wondering how they could do this gig night after night.  With 3 extremely
talented and gifted musicians on stage I excepted more than just hallow
wanking.  I kept waiting for the next level.

Perhaps I'm too much of an idealist.

People on ET have been raving about "the new vocabulary" P2 is exploring.
I heard nothing new.  I heard drum sounds straight from ToaPP (Three of a
Perfect Pair's "Industry"), soundscaping from Fripp's many recent solo
discs, and Gunn's noodling ala his solo discs....

        Well, maybe it's not exactly a NEW vocabulary, but It's a chance
to LOOK
        for the new, while having a little fun. This tour offered these
three
        persons the opportunity to improvise *together*. Sometimes magic

        happens, sometimes dreck. But the opportunity* doesn't often
present
        itself.

        Having the option to go back to the drawing board and spend a year

        writing and recording a release, then touring to support it...
Locked
        into a fairly scripted progession of songs (possibly with great
moments
        of chance and risk)

        OR

        Taking a spring break and cruising out on a month long tour
*Jamming
        with a couple friends to recharge and make "any noise you felt
like"
        playing on a given night... I think I'd like the opportunity to
get out
        there and wank a little. At least there's the chance it could be

        sublime.

Geezzz....what's my problem?????

        Maybe *you've* been noodling a little too much. No worry. Write a
few
        songs. Keep writing until your sick of writing. Write some more.
At some
        point you'll be wishing you could do a little goofy noodling.

I think in my own looping I've been searching and struggling for form and
structure in my looping compositions.  I'm tired of improvised
guitar-drones that go nowhere, are lifeless and dead, and brandish the
"Recorded live with no overdubs/Completely improvised" tag. BOOORRRRING.

        See above. Maybe wank a little harder on the old guitbox. Drones
don't
        necessarily have to drone. They can clank and bang as well. Get
out the
        Whammy pedal!

I was hoping for enlightenment from the masters.  Some clue as to the road
less traveled.

        The masters are taking a much needed break from repeating
"DINO-SOAR!!!"

Matt

P.S.  That being say, the P2 song directly after the intermission was
*very* cool, erie, and sublime.  How in the heck was Gunn triggering those
vocal samples?  IMO, this song hinted at what this group of musicians are
capable of.

        I was pretty moved by that one as well. I had a nice seat to sit
back
        and close my eyes, and was transported! I agree with much of what
you
        say Matt. Sure the pounded on and on for a number of tunes.

        The more I write, the more I realize the importance of leaving
chance
        and risk in the formula, to allow stuff to evolve and grow. How
you add
        structure around the chance, or add looseness to a strict
composition is
        a dilemma we modern electroids all have to deal with.

Yours,
Miko B.