Many questions answered

 <<QUESTIONS:

<<In general why loop or sample at all?  I mean so what?
 <<(;

Firstly, I loop because it is something I can do on my own.
I do not own a car, only a bicycle, and It is not very easy to play with
other musicians without a car, especially with the gear!
So looping Is a way to get away from just noodling by myself.

Secondly, I loop because it is one of the most fun things I have ever
done.
It is a constant pleasure to hear sounds on sounds, against sounds, that
I did by myself.

Thirdly, I loop because I want to capture or create in some way the
magic I hear on music like "No Pussyfooting"
and some of the things I heard Living Colour do live once.

<<Who has access, that is, look away from yourself and ask yourself why
do I
<<do this?  Why don't other people?  Is it just that they don't know?
Or is
<<there some differentiation you might like to take on?

I have observed that other musicians with the ability and knowledge of
gear do not "loop" because of:
A dislike or suspicion of any technological "sullying" of their music.
A dislike of artists associated with looping
A preference for live music with other musicians.
Dismissal of solo looping as nothing more than a gimmick

<<When you loop etc. what instruments or sounds do you tend to use and
why?
<<What's so special about your guitar,  your synth, and your loop/sample
<<product?  Why is it relevant or why is it just slack?  I mean really
so
<<what?
<<(;

I play a guitar and a 5-string bass because I have built up good skills
on them, and can play challenging sequences on them.
They feel "natural" to me.
I can also do odd things with them and a few effects, which I like.
I play my synth keyboard and my midi guitar synth because of the canvas
of sounds to choose from.

I use my GT-5 because it allows you to control ANYTHING if you have
enough ideas.
I wish it had more delay and an internal signal router/mixer though.

<<On the Echoplex what are your favourite choice knobs and what types of
<<sounds do you find most exciting?  I hear all kinds of talk about how
<<exhilarating it is, does this live up to it's calling? What does
<<specifically does the Echoplex do that rivets you to the Loopdom!?  If
you
<<don't use the Echoplex, why? and what do you use?

I use a zoom 4-sec delay because it is all I have.
I do not have an Echoplex because they cost $2850 with footpedal and 1Mb
memory in Australia.
I also do not have an Echoplex because I have not heard back from Rik at
Bananas at large yet. (Rik, are you still ou there? :) )
I want an Echoplex badly.

<<Almost lastly, is there a sampling looping culture?  This kind of
reflects
<<earlier, but here we sit typing e-mail to a list, this implies
something of
<<our nature.  Also the locale of most of the individuals, and numerous
other
<<issues unbeknownst to me.  What might typify loopers/samplers?  Is
that
<<everything does, "hell we could be anybody?!"  And further is there a
<<certain communion experienced?

I only loosely feel part of a looping sub-culture. Mainly due to this
list. I don't know any other loopers personally.

<<Lastly, what do you want to see for looping or sampling
<<that is lacking now?  Do you want something more intuitive that
<<anticipates, or responds more in line
w<<ith you?  Is there a danger to the "detente" (; or easing of
relations
<<between complexity and simplicity?
<<Or do you think that intuitive systems might continue complexity, new
avenues?

I only think that we will see good looping tools if there is a creative
drive towards developing them from interested people, with the design
ability to carry it off.
I am sure some people both on and off this list qualify for that, but
they should work together.
In a few years I will start designing some loop products, I am sure. But
I must first research.

<<And dead lastly, while you may want looping or sampling to go a
certain
<<direction, where do you think it is headed and why do you think it is
<<positive or negative?

I observe looping to be heading in the electronic domain, like drum and
bass stuff, but evolving into a much more eclectic state.
I think it may not be long before looping ensembles are common in these
fields of music. Although they might not call themselves that.
I would like looping to be the future of recording, not expensive
studios.

jamie lack
jlack@auran.com