Re: projekt2 review sat.iman huntington L.I.New York

> Wow!  Sounds like you had a great time.  Contrast with the NY Times
> review below.  Seems even the big boys encounter some of the same
> problems that we've discussed regarding experimental music and audience
> expectations.  I wonder if Mr. Watrous would have similarly criticized a
> black band that drew a predominantly black audience:
---------------------
- speaking of "demographically generous" . . . how about the Opera - or
the Ballet - they're funded to the tune of MANY millions of $s  by the
feds, the states, the cities, and even hotel taxes(actually to the LOOP
of millions of $s, since they get it, and more,  every year -
automatically).

- someone should try to describe those art forms by their audiences -

---------------------

- although i've never heard the band mentioned in person, they must be
more accomplished in their art form than that "critic" is in his craft,
or he would have written his review in such a way that the following
"three-dot PR distillation" wouldn't be possible:

---------------------

 Fine-Tuning Appeal for a Certain Audience
          Projekct Two
          Irving Plaza

          Sociologists looking for the demographic connection between
bands and their audiences have a good test case in Projekct Two, a King
Crimson spinoff group featuring Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew and Trey
Gunn.

          Maybe it's the music's athleticism  .  .  .   All three used
all sorts of samples and synthesizers to change the sound of their
instruments. The sound of organs and synthesized strings and pianos
wafted in and out of the music.

          Mr. Fripp and Mr. Gunn often swapped solo space, with Mr. Gunn
sometimes holding long, distorted notes as a background for Mr. Fripp's
buzzing note flurries.

          With all the simulated instruments available, the three
musicians created walls of sound.

.  .  . there was no getting away from the feeling that somewhere, under
all the blur and noise, they were . . . actually thinking through the
problems of making music demographically generous.

------------------------

- 90% of what was said was very positive - however,

. . .  although seeming blissfully unaware of the "ho lotta loopin" that
was goin on . . . the reviewer seems to imply that loopers can't get
laid . . . at least in NY . . .  perhaps a visit to San Francisco would
help . . . where the freaks (of all genders) like it (music of all
persuasions) freaky.

- and as far a getting paid? it's like the jazz musician who won the
lottery. When somebody asked what he was going to do with all the money,
he said "I guess i'll just keep on working until it runs out".

mmmmmmm