JamMan regen discussion

>     The JamMan in Loop mode only has three fade values. Long, medium and
>     short. These are definitely crude, but still get the job done when
>     you've anticipated their limitations.
>
>     The JamMan in Delay mode has 16 regen levels. If you're looking for
>     smoother decay of loops these levels, while there are only 16, are
>     much smoother sounding. MIDI control of these values with PGM Chg's
>     give foot control over the decay.
>
>     Adding a volume pedal at the input of the Jammer allows you to kill
>     input to the unit and still play over the loop. (If you're using it
>on
>     an aux send.)

As mentioned before , here's an alternative way of setting up your jamman,
or at least here's how I set up mine:

my FX chain terminates in a stereo chorus.  One of the outputs goes to one
amp input.  the other goes to a footswitch - basically a DOD distortion
pedal with the o/p level turned all the way down - that passes/stops the
signal.  This goes into the JM's Left input.

the JM is set in DELAY mode with a feedback level 1 and MIX all the way to
the right - ie it produces one repeat only.  The signal goes from the Left
output to the other amp input.  The signal goes from the Right output to a
volume pedal and back into to Right input.  OK so far?

This means that I have 3 footswitches - tap, input bypass and output bypass
- and a volume pedal to control the feedback in real time.  It also
provides for Replace-style functions by dropping the feedback to zero; this
way all 3 JM loop functions (mute/layer/replace) are provided for, TAP will
alter the loop time in midloop, and it's easy to shift the JM's function
from a loop to a delay real quickly.  Mondo control.  The only thing I
don't have is multiple loops, which I never used anyway.

The only drawback is that you have to spend time balancing the "input" and
"output" levels - about 2 o'clock and 12 o'clock work for me.  And
surprisingly, noise doesn't seem to be a major factor even though the
signal is constantly shifting between digital and analogue.

Next step?  Since the whole of the looped sgnal comes out of the box before
feeding back, there's an ideal spot for inserting some in-loop FX .....

Michael

 Dr. Michael P. Hughes, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK G12 8QQ
     Mr. Griff raised his stunted barber's pole. "And where do
         you think you are going with your old black bag?"
       Grandpa said: "I am going to Llangadock to be buried"
       "But you aren't dead yet, Dai Thomas"  -Dylan Thomas
 www.elec.gla.ac.uk/~pycraft               m.hughes@elec.gla.ac.uk