Re: JamMan regen discussion

Sean:
>>the JM is set in DELAY mode with a feedback level 1 and MIX all the way
>>the right - ie it produces one repeat only.  The signal goes from the
>Left
>>output to the other amp input.  The signal goes from the Right output to
>>volume pedal and back into to Right input.
>[snip]
>>The only drawback is that you have to spend time balancing the "input"
>and
>>"output" levels - about 2 o'clock and 12 o'clock work for me.  And
>>surprisingly, noise doesn't seem to be a major factor even though the
>>signal is constantly shifting between digital and analogue.
>
>A cleaner solution if you can live with only 16 settings of feedback, I
>would think, would be to use an expression pedal and some kind of MIDI
>filter that converts continuous controller values to the appropriate
>program change messages.

I'm sure this would offer the same degree of control.  I doubt anyone
around here could discriminate between more than 16 levels of feedback!
The reason I'm happiest with this system is that I seem to have a
deep-rooted fear of anything programmable.  No, really - I have a terror of
turning up to a gig and finding my processor/MIDI filter/footswitch etc has
forgotten its presets.  So I get by with a bunch of pedals and my
non-programmable JM.

>Personally, I much prefer just turning the feedback knob to 13 or
>whatever, because then I get a rate of fade that I know exactly what
>it is.  (I.e., I'll be playing along and think, oh, I want stuff to
>fade out faster, probably at 11 or so.)

I used to use the knob, but I was dissatisfied at the way in which it
tracks. I'd grab it and QUICKLY turn it all the way around, hoping to go
from 1 to 16 and finding it only got as far as 3.  It doesn't like being
turned quickly.  And there's no easy way of getting from 1 to 16 - sadly
the encoder won't roll over for 14-15-16-1-2 etc.  You have to go all the
way back.

> If the continuous control
>had some kind of digital readout (perhaps the plex does), that would
>cover that need, but I don't see how you could reasonably do that
>if you're using an analog volume pedal in the feedback loop.

Whoever mentioned the visual volume, thanks!  It actually should be
relatively easy to build something like that into a standard volume pedal.
Put a double-ganged pot in the pedal, drop a voltage across the second
track and use the tap to drive an array of LEDs.  You could probably source
near-completed ccts from your mail-order electronics company (is that
Mouser over there? It's Maplin here).

Michael

 Dr. Michael P. Hughes, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK G12 8QQ
     Mr. Griff raised his stunted barber's pole. "And where do
         you think you are going with your old black bag?"
       Grandpa said: "I am going to Llangadock to be buried"
       "But you aren't dead yet, Dai Thomas"  -Dylan Thomas
 www.elec.gla.ac.uk/~pycraft               m.hughes@elec.gla.ac.uk