Re: This Mainstream vs Internet argument

Steve Lauder wrote:

> I've been reading all messages on this "All major record companies are
> leeches" debate since it first started with great interest, and the
>latest
> case put forward by (tdbajus) about marketing using the internet is a
>nice
> idea, but in reality will never really be effective.
>
> How are people going to find your site?

I don't think that any of us have said that major labels are leeches... all
though it may have been implied ; )  It seems though (being the staunch
capitalist that I am) that in the intererests of reaching your corporate
objective (which I would think is a combination of producing work that
satisfies
the artist, is enjoyed by a fan base, and making a handsome living off of
it [is
there anyone here who doens't want to make music that they dig, that
people they
respect tell them it is cool, and own as many guitars, yachts, houses,
custom
built amplifiers/racks/studios etc. as possible?) is a bit impeded by a
middleman that is taking perhaps to much of a chunk of the proceeds?
Labels
serve a need; perhaps there are better, less expensive ways to satisfy that
need.

That's why I gave U2 as an example.  They already have a huge fan base- if
they
were to switch to an independant, selfmanaged marketing/distribution
scheme, it
would not go unnoticed.  For this to realky take off quickly, someone huge
would
have to lead the way in a very public mannor.

Also- don't you know of a few labels out there that just seem to have
really
good taste?  Any band who comes out on DeSoto, Dischord, Touch & Go
(amongst
others) commands more interest unheard from me as compared to, say Sony, or
Atlantic.  That is the beauty of the links page on a most bands sites- You
like
band A, band A likes bands 1, 2, and 3.  Odds are, you will most likely
like one
of them.  You go to their site, download a few sample of their music, and
maybe
you find some stuff that you are really into.  If not, you have at least
whiled
a way some of your downtime at work.

I'm sure one of the Frippheads out there can fill in the details, but
Fripp has
a deal with Virgin(?) where he can release his output on either Virgin or
his
own label.  Fripp makes a vastly larger profit from his own label, but his
distribution is somewhat limited-  If he doesn't feel that he can keep up
with
the demand, he gives the record to Virgin.  He makes a much smaller cut per
unit, but because he is selling so many more, his net profit is higher.

tdb