Re: Computers **(MSP)**

At 2:50 PM -0700 7/19/98, Crossedout@aol.com wrote:

><< The problem that I see with computer based looping, effects, synthesis,
> etc. is still the logistics of taking your instrument to a gig.  I
>personally
> would be very reluctant to take my computer and 17 inch monitor to a gig.
> I don't think it would be a road-worthy setup and its too bulky.
>  >>

>What about using a laptop? I have done a lot of looping stuff with a
>friend of
>mine where I was using my 486/50 IBM Thinkpad to do lots of looping and
>sound
>processing, as it was the most portable instrument I had (aside from my
>MPC
>2000) that I could take to his house easily.

Taking something to someone's house is a lot different from going on tour
or doing 200 shows a year in the local bars.....Just wait til the crate
carrying your laptop falls off the airplane's baggage ramp and drops 10
feet to the pavement and lands underneath the power amp....or until an
intoxicated fan or bandmate spills their beer into the keyboard....or the
stage power in a foreign country is wired wrong and you plug into it.....
"road-worthy" means it will survive these things.....

kim