Re: Stupid Looping Questions... and $0.02

<< >7.  How does a DJ get tempos to match when using samples from various
 >sources?

 With turntables, it usually involves manipulating the speed knob and
careful
 needle placement. I get the impression that it is harder than it
looks....>>

Actually, I've been told by a couple of people who were working with non-dj
turntables and trying to match tempos with them that getting a good pair of
Technics with the pitch control and fast startup made the process a whole
lot
easier... can't wait until I find a cheap pair....

 >10. So far, looping uses the following for source material:  instruments,
 >voices, noises and pre-recorded material.  What other source materials are
 >there?

 I like David Meyer's approach of using the loop device as it's own source,
 by feeding it's output back to it's input. Lots 'o fun, especially when
you
 have eq's and distortions in the feedback path.

I don't know if anyone on the list is familiar with a Japanese artist named
Merzbow, he's been doing some really crazy noise stuff for years by using
effects and a closed-feedback loop mixer.... it's really harsh, but often
very
beautiful.

thus ends my two cents....

- Bill