Re: CD pricing etc.

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Ha! Beat ya to it! My group, Future
Perfect, did
just that for our second CD release- recorded them at home direct to DAT,
borrowed a friends CD burner and went to town copying them. We got a deal
on the
white/blue bulk CD-r's and each one has original artwork on the CD itself.
Designed the printing at home, and took it to a local printer- cost $35
for the
printing. We numbered each one, and even shrinkwrapped 'em- total cost to
us,
including DAT tape, printing, CD-r's was less than $250. Our first CD cost
us
with printing and studio time over $5000. Guess which one sells
more...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT><FONT size=2>We sell our CD's at
gigs for
$15 (no one needs to know what it cost us to make, besides, the quality of
the
recording-and hopefully the music- is what they are paying for). We also
get a
few sales via our website, but most of them are at shows. More power to
ya- the
price of CD duplication is crazy these days, and any way we can save money
is
more money we can use to buy the latest looping toys.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>This is also a quick way of getting your music out into
the
world-it took us about 5 days, start to finish, as opposed to the year and
half for our first CD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Dave Eichenberger</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT color=#000000
size=2>*********************************************************************

<BR>'Future Perfect' - art music - visit our website at:<BR><A
href="http://home1.gte.net/artmusic/">http://home1.gte.net/artmusic/</A><BR>&nbsp;</FONT><FONT

face=Arial size=2><BR><BR></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT:
5px"></FONT>for
    my own releases, since i know that there is <I>limited audience</I>for
what
    i do, i'm planning on burning them myself, hand-painting the insert
j-cards,
    &amp; having numbered limited editions (ala steve roach dream circle,
or
    zoviet france, or crash worship, or whoever else), and selling them at
gigs
    or on the net for $10. this is not to be pretentious, but to be punk
    rock.&nbsp; no label, no middleman, no crap. <BR>i'll be treating
these cd's
    like t-shirts or other merchandise, &amp; what touring (or
non-touring) band
    doesn't know that you make more $ from merch than you get paid by the
club?
    <BR>yes, my overhead is low. yes, i'm making profit per unit. but it's
my
    music &amp; if you are willing to shell out $10 after hearing the
band, i
    think you'll find the cd's very nice. <BR>i don't think making a
couple of $
    playing fun, strange, left-feild music is a bad thing.
    <P>the band that i'm a sideman in sells their cd's for usually 14.99
at most
    stores, list 16.99 or whatever. they sell enough of them to keep
putting
    more out, so i guess that's a fair price, too.
    <P>i paid 17.99 for halycon days by roach/kent/newby &amp; i think
it's
    worth more.
    <P>it's all

subjectivity&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

    bobdog </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>