Re: MIDI continuous controller ideas

>MIDI controllers aren't looping devices, but they certainly are useful
>when
>manipulating loops, so this is at least marginally on topic.

Speaking of MIDI CC's, I've been envisioning a device based on the
Boomerang volume controller that transmits CC's. For those of you who don't
know the Boomerang, the output volume is controlled by a rubber-coated
roller about the diameter of a toilet paper tube, about 2 inches long, that
sticks a little above the surface of the pedal. You change the volume by
rolling your foot across it. There's a row of dots that corkscrew around
the roller that tells you the value. This is one of the hippest controls
I've ever seen! It's way intuitive and it occupies a lot less space than a
foot pedal. I'm thinking that a box about the size of the EDP foot
controller or 'rang with 4 or 6 of these rollers, assignable to MIDI CC's
would be a way cool piece of gear. Of course, with my pathetic soldering
skills, I couldn't build it...

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra