Re[2]: Guitar Effects (non-looping content) Loooong

>>On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Steve Lauder wrote:
>> I was wondering whether anyone had played round with effects to get any
>real
>> weird sounds out of a guitar?
>> I've used delays, distortions, compressors, vocoders etc, but at the
>end of
>> the day you can still recognise the sound as that of a guitar.  I'm
>after
>> something really whacky, and I was after some hints.

>...basically if you churned the sound through a resonant filter and some
>form
>of envelope you might start coming close. (.... snip)

>You mentioned Nine inch nails and trent often would run his sounds into
>an Arp
>2600 modular synth to get something no one else (including himself) could
>duplicate). The Nord Virtual modular would also fit this bill if you've
>got $2k sitting around.

I went through the analog filter search a while back, and sure, there are
a few
super cool pricey ones like the Mutronics Mutator ~1.2K and the Sherman
Filterbank ~600 (used?) and the Waldorf stereo X-Pole ~800. I finally
settled on
the Waldorf 4-pole @ $389 from Bananas at Large, and love it.

I've only scratched the surface of it's potential and already have some
very
twisted stuff going on. You do have to be willing to use CV control to get
realtime control of it, but it's quite versatile and can be pretty
invisible
except when you want total warp if you're willing to get into some midi cc
patching. I started out looking at more *traditional* envelope filters for
guitar like the Q-Tron and Lovetone Meatball (didn't get to try that) and
decided I wanted a little more tweakability. Check out the 4-pole...

-miko