Re: Guitar Effects (slight looping content)

Steve Lauder wrote:

> I've been experimenting with some electric guitar riffs in ambient
>music, as
> well as, er, I suppose you'd call some of my stuff a Nine Inch Nails
> rip-off.
>
> I was wondering whether anyone had played round with effects to get any
>real
> weird sounds out of a guitar?
>
> I've used delays, distortions, compressors, vocoders etc, but at the end
>of
> the day you can still recognise the sound as that of a guitar.  I'm after
> something really whacky, and I was after some hints.

Wacky effect du jour as follows: guitar signal into Boss DD-3 pedal, then
increase the regenerations to the point of feedback (BTW, the DD-5 doesn't
seem
to want to do this, although I would assume most simpler delays with
volume,
regen. and frequency controls should work). One can then (if careful with
volume and having resilient speakers) control the feedback while rolling
the
frequency and volume pot(s) around to produce some fairly convincing
Stockhausen-esque staccato UFO warbles (think Gesang der Junglinge or
Kontakt);
this works especially well with a volume pedal and a modulation effect or
two -
with minor tweaking, it don't sound much like a geetar a'tall...

Cheers,

Lance G.