RE: Is CoolEdit 96 freeware?

GRAIGORY2@aol.com [mailto:GRAIGORY2@aol.com] responded:
> But, that would be F*ed up...

And I beg to differ on this one considerably.  There is a huge frigging
difference between the following two examples:

Someone who simply gives a copy of a program to a friend; or
Someone who alters a program to get around non-purchase limits, and THEN
distributes it to others, possibly via a web page.

The first is simply an exchange in comparison with the second case, which
is
most definately more than sheer piracy, if not also mean-spirited, and just
not very nice.

The Software Protection Association (a ubiquitous name at best) continues
crow about the slightest infringement to their members' copyrights, while
at
times focusing on small, easy-to-sue companies and individuals; and, IMHO,
so long as the computing public shows an interest in self-inspection,
there's not much of a problem.  But when individuals who pride themselves
on
being able to crack code limitations (as opposed to more productive work)
and flaunt their work, much in the spirit of the Phone Phreaker, they
deserve whatever happens to them.  Those folks don't have respect for the
people who worked on the app they've modified, but rather pretend that
they're some sort of Digital Robin Hood when caught.  They make life more
difficult for regular folks who just might borrow an app, possibly with an
idea to purchase later (gasp!), and, as such, they deserve anything that
happens to them.  On that level, there's absolutely NO SHAME in sending
such
folks up for proscecution, because it's also self-policing from Users'
standpoints, and also keeps the SPA off Our backs.

Stephen GoodmanÊ *Ê It's The Loop Of The Week!
EarthLight StudiosÊ *Ê http://www.earthlight.net/Studios