RE: Home Studio

Sounds like you've got a lot of cabling in your set-up...

I might be making an obvious point here, but I've seen so many people
making
the mistake of purchasing high quality mixers, etc.  and using tatty old
speaker cables to join them all together.

One of the quickest fixes for background noise is to buy the highest
quality
cabling you can afford.

Lets say your source mixer (connected to two turntables and a tape deck) is
sent out to another mixer via tatty cables.  Your second mixer will pick up
the noise from the shoddy cabling and amplify it.

If you use your equaliser in a classic "V" setup, which has a lot of
treble,
this again will amplify the noise before it goes to your soundcard, which
(if its anything like mine) produce plenty of noise on its own, before it's
again amplified to the speakers...

I think you see my point.

Hope this helps,

Steve