Re: FNV-RIAA IS CRACKING DOWN

In a message dated 8/26/98 3:57:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
Edward_Chang@mail.amsinc.com writes:

<<
 What do y'all think about visual artists who use collage-type techniques
in
 their work?  For example artists (whose names I won't list here) who use
 commercial advertisements, national icons, media characters, brand names,
 etc...  as part of a mixed media painting?  Or sculpture (I recall one
 friend who nailed a mangled MacIntosh keyboard into a piece of sculpture
 and burned it and then exhibited the remains)?  Would that person be
 obligated to ask Apple for permission?  I'd think that that's a rare (if
 ever) occurrence.  Is there 'theft of image' here? >>

Well, Kim....

here's where the bear shits in the buckwheat... many would argue that these
aren't thefts, becuase the "sampled" material isn't ART... it's just a
piece
of commercial goods*. These same people would scream bloody murder, I'm
sure,
if I used a sample of one of thier songs, sampled from a disc that I
bought,
that they sold me. Because music, even if it's sold, is not "product", is
not
a commercial form, it's always ART, even if it's being manufactured in
bulk,
shrink-wrapped, and priced to sell.

Personally, I look at the collage the same way as the sample recording...
did
they do something interesting with it, outside of it's original intent, or
did
they just surround it with parsley and call it a meal?

- Bill
Crossedout@aol.com