RE: FNV-RIAA IS CRACKING DOWN

Crossedout@aol.com [mailto:Crossedout@aol.com] asked:

> If push comes to shove, do you have the money to fight a
> protracted legal
> battle to defend yourself in a rights dispute against, for
> example, WB?

Since I prefer to create my own sounds I doubt whether I have much to fear
in terms of rights disputes.  I don't think that anyone should be able to
freely sample anyone else's work without some form of permission or
compensation.   Even WB has had to comply on this level, actually.  One
fine
example that foreshadowed this very controversy happened with "My Life In
The Bush With Ghosts", a Brian Eno/David Byrne collaboration that I think
enough of us remember from 1980.  Sire Records, in case one forgets, is a
sublabel of Warner Bros.  They had to reissue the album, minus a few
tracks,
which had included taped bits used without permission.

Where did anyone develop the idea that recording someone else's work for
free was permissible or even acceptable?  It seems that, to some of us,
there's no discussion necessary, while to the rest we might seem like The
Establishment or something.  How many of us here rely upon the recordings
of
others in this regard to produce their work, and how many roll their own?
Such an answer might be illuminating. :)

Stephen GoodmanÊ -Ê It's... The Loop Of The Week!
EarthLight StudiosÊ -Ê http://www.earthlight.net/Studios