RE: Old amps, was Re: Far out man!

Better let someone look at it who is competent at electronics.  It sounds
me like your record player might have a "hot chassis".  This means that no
isolation transformer was used in order to cut costs.  If the speaker leads
were hooked up to make it difficult to get to them, this is likely the
case.
"Ground" on such a chassis runs at about 75vdc relative to actual earth
ground.  Hooking up to the speaker on such a chassis is dangerous, and
should not be done.

You should always use a proper isolation transformer when hooking up to the
speaker output of an amplifier.  Not only because of the above safety
reason, but also to prevent hum due to ground currents.  And another
thing!!
If you come off of the speaker output of a guitar amplifier, you should use
a VOLTAGE DIVIDER to reduce the amplitude of the signal going into the line
input, or you will probably damage the input circuitry of your board due to
the high voltage available at the speaker output.  Plus, a filter capacitor
to ground to reduce the highs a little, or the sound will likely be very
"sterile".  This will take some experimentation to get the sound just
right,
but well worth the effort.

Better yet, get a "Power Soak", which properly loads down the tube amp
output, letting you crank up the volume to get nice distortion, but use the
filter cap when going into a board at line level to eliminate the sterile
sound.  Let me know if you want more details on the divider, capacitor
values, etc.  You can get great direct sound this way if you are willing to
tweak around a bit.