RE: Old amps, was Re: Far out man!

If you have a hot chassis, there will not be any aux. inputs/outputs.
However, that doesn't necessarily mean that if there are no aux. in/out
jacks that the chassis is hot.  If you look inside, there will be no
transformer connected to the AC power line on a hot chassis.  That is the
main savings, elimination of the ac power transformer.  Many tube table
radios/phonographs of the 50's did this to eliminate all transformers.
Most
small TV's made today are hot chassis types.  There might be an audio
output
transformer, two leads of which would be connected to the speaker output
(times two for stereo) in which case the speaker terminals may or may not
be
hot, depending on whether the output transformer is of the isolating type.

Kids, don't do this at home without adult supervision:  The way to measure
this is to use an ac or dc voltmeter, and measure either of the speaker
terminals with respect to ac (earth) ground.  You can use the metal case of
any grounded appliance as ac ground, or the ground wire of a three wire
groung plug. The voltage will be somewhere around 50vdc, or 60v ac.  Could
be more or less.  It is actually a "half-wave rectified waveform",
containing both dc and ac components.  It is the ac that causes the heart
go into fibrillation.