Re: Working with a style

<P>I don't use cubase but haveing play with drum machines for a good while
I can relate to the problem. One way that I attempt to relieve the boring
beat is using delays on 1 or more of the voices. I can get some amazing
poly-rhythms going just by hitting a pad or&nbsp; using a drum machine
or both. If you like you can check out this jam. The drum part is an
arpegio
snare sound on my GR-30 fed into a delay set at about 490 milliseconds
then I tapped a bit of&nbsp; it into a jamman, as it would rotate through
the loop it would go in and out of sync with me playing on top of it,I
layered a bit of that, then put it on Hold and bashed my instrument along
with it. Lotta fun!
<BR>Jeff

<P><A
HREF="http://members.xoom.com/echo17/sounds/pcfb.ram">http://members.xoom.com/echo17/sounds/pcfb.ram</A>

<P>Thomas W&oslash;hni wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<FONT FACE="Baskerville"><FONT
COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>HI
,fellow cubase-user here. Lots of good ideas already offered&nbsp; and
the only thing I can add is</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT
FACE="Baskerville"><FONT SIZE=-1>about
quantization. If have found that a few things help:</FONT></FONT><FONT
FACE="Baskerville"><FONT SIZE=-1>-try
moving the individual hits separately. For instance , try moving the snare
and kick to it`s "quantized" place and leave the rest as it is. It might
be enough if the hi-hats(or whatever is left)</FONT></FONT><FONT
FACE="Baskerville"><FONT SIZE=-1>have
a cool "swing".</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Baskerville"><FONT SIZE=-1>- check
out the match quantize option if you have ,say , a swingin`&nbsp; bassline
going.</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Baskerville"><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT
SIZE=-1>-play
the different drumsounds on separate tracks. If you use kick , snare and
ride try spreading them on three separate tracks(all with channel 10 if
you use GM modules).</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Baskerville"><FONT
COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>This
can help you keep your beats from getting too chaotic , and make you more
aware of what`s goin on. The average drummer has only&nbsp; four limbs
and can only make 4 sounds simultaniously. Keeping that in mind has helped
me a lot.</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE="Baskerville"><FONT SIZE=-1>-
learn to play drums , even on a basic level. This has helped me
TREMENDOUSLY.
I can`t hold a groove together for long periods of time , but I have gotten
a feel for how an average drummer&nbsp; can think and what can be done.
Knowing where the arms and legs go in a groove is very helpful , even if
I can`t perform it in real-time.</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Baskerville"><FONT SIZE=-1>Anyways
, hope this helps.</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT FACE="Baskerville"><FONT
SIZE=-1>Yours
, Thomas</FONT></FONT>&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT FACE="Baskerville"><FONT
COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>Feel
free to check out my web-site:</FONT></FONT></FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE="Baskerville"><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1><A
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Promenade/1628/">http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Promenade/1628/</A></FONT></FONT></FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE="Baskerville"><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT
SIZE=-1>&nbsp;</FONT></FONT></FONT>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT:
5px">&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
</BODY>