Gibson Status

>>Just a side note, why would Gibson be putting out full page ads in Guitar
>>Player for Steinberger (Headless, Get Over It!) if they are pulling the
plug?

The status of what's happening at Gibson is true. They have shutdown the
Steinberger and Tobias production lines. According to them, they will
re-open the lines in Memphis *late* 1999, but nothing has been officially
announced. I doubt if you would be able to order a new instrument at this
point, but they might sell you existing stock if they have it. This thread
has been verified in some of the other newsgroups that I subscribe to and
people who have talked to Gibson employees.

When I spoke with Mike Ayers yesterday, he claimed that Oberheim will still
exist as a product brand, but people are getting laid off and they may be
relocating. I think Pat Murphy was laid off. Right now, they are not
authorizing RA's or repairs to equipment. It seems Gibson has purchased
Opcode and Opcode has just relocated to Mountain View, CA. Maybe that's
where Oberheim will end up (???)

A typical corporate tactic is to run the business as usual until firm
"corporate" decisions have been made regardless of the cost. That keeps the
employees productive and the product name alive until official
announcements
are made.