Re: Gibson Status

At 10:01 AM 9/12/98, Douglas Lawrence wrote:

>The status of what's happening at Gibson is true. They have shutdown the
>Steinberger and Tobias production lines.
-----
They have also just laid off several long time employees at Opcode. From
what I heard(from a departing Opcode employee), Oberheim might be
discontinued as a 'line' (this is just a strong rumor at this point).
Product development will continue on Vision DSP and Studio Vision with a
planned port of Studio Vision to Windows. There is currently no one
maintaining Galaxy or Galaxy + Editors - it *may* go away. Also,
development and maintenence of MusicTime, a low end product, will probably
cease.

Gibson bought Opcode right after Cakewalk, Roland and Fender decided to
share technologies; Gibson probably wants to stay in the game. There are
plans for new directions at Opcode, but I don't know just what they are.
There are talented people there; however, in that business a lot will
depend a lot on passion, vision (no pun intended) and great marketing moxy.

Bottom line: the music industry is a tough business.

Sanford