Re: Home Studio

GRAIGORY2@aol.com wrote:

> I am getting PISSED with the sound quality of computers and what not...
>so I
> am thinking about getting the following things...
>
> 1)digital 8 track
> 2) dat machine
> 3)standalone CDR
> 4)ASR-X pro

The opinions that follow are not my own, but have been implanted in my
head by
space aliens during my last abduction.I have always been a big proponant of
computer based digital recording.  If you are going to deal with the loss
of the
yummieness of tape (and there are many good reasons for that) then you
should
really take advantage of what makes digital cool- the editing.

There is nothing quite so nice as flying by the seat of your pants,
editing the
good bits together, and catching more spontaniety than you can shake a
stick at.
Need a new mix?  An extra chorus?  Chopping out a bum fill?  Bum note?  All
easily done.

The two digital recorders that I am most familiar with are Digi's Session8
(now
called ProTools Project on the Mac, i believe) and Akai's DR8.  To make a
long
story short, Digi's stuff worked like a dream (esp. after editing on 1/4
tape
w/razor and tape), but the working with the stand alone, even with the
monitor
card, was just a nightmare.  Still better than a razor though.  Nominally.

I used to have a tascam DA-30 (the first model) and it sucked big.  It
seems
anything that Tascam/Teac make that costs more than a $800 is shit.

I'm not a keyboard player, but I play one on TV.  Ensoniq stuff seems to
work
well for a lot of folks.

I ain't got a clue 'bout CDRs.

tdb