gr-30 and pk-5 compatability

    When using the pk-5 with the gr-30 I run into this problem.  The pk is
in bass mode which holds a single note until canceled or a new note is
triggered which is then held and so on.  However, if I also play the guitar
I find myself limited to 5 of the 6 strings. One of the strings when played
will cause the note being held by the pk to cut off while the other five
can
be played without cutting off the note.  I have tried using different midi
channels and the problem may switch strings but still remains.  I would
like
to be able to play chords freely on the guitar while using the pk for
sustained bass parts.  I am new to the world of midi and am just beginning
my education.  What books would people recommend?  Does any one have a
solution to this particular problem?

                                        Thank You.