RE: Devices vs. Computer for live looping

I like your observation about people's habits in purchasing hardware.
Indeed, I'd like to have something added to my computer rather than adding
another separate piece of hardware.  On the other hand, as Kim has reminded
us in the past, a separate piece of hardware like the EDP does function
more
reliably and speedily than a plug in on my computer.

My point again, if I may, is that eventually we'll have supercomputers
(comparing to our Pentia) which will behave 10 times faster than any
separate piece of hardware, and we won't be talking about separate hardware
as opposed to software or hardware installed in our computers.  Further, I
can see that, as we continue to see more and better outboard protocols and
systems, such as USB, and the upcoming Ethernet-like MIDI, that we will
begin thinking of the "computer" as the collection of separate devices of
which we make use.  Indeed, someone on the list a few days ago was drooling
while talking about having a future EDP rapidly dumping to HDD a loop, even
pulling from and saving to disk several loops <italics>during</italics> a
performance!  Makes me drool too...

For example, I don't consider my "computer" to be just the box with the
motherboard and the CPU, etc. -- it includes my monitor, keyboard, mouse,
speakers, CDWriter, scanner, printer and, through MIDI, I think it now
includes my synthesisers and MIDI sound-processing gear; this whole
collection is my "computer."

As computers continue to include outboard equipment, the line between
"dedicated hardware" and "computers" becomes ever blurrier.

But as you dramatically point out, as it is right now, people do have to
make a choice about which way to go, either stompboxes-like devices, or
computer "plug-in's."  I happen to agree with Kim that, for looping, and as
computer hardware stands today, a separate, dedicated looping device such
as
the EDP is best.