slightly off topic - s/pdif cards and .wav files.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but you guys are usually kind to stupid
questions.

here's the deal - I want to get a decent i/o card for my computer, I am
using
ADATs to record, and I saw a card that is reasonably priced and will turn
my
pc into a virtual ADAT, and interface directly with my other equipment.

It also features s/pdif ins and outs. Now, if I wanted to take the s/pdif
out
from my DAT and transfer some music from the DAT into the pc, is there a
way
I can dump stuff from DATs through the s/pdif in and have my .wav software
"see" the input like it sees an analog line in?

Or am I gibbering and obviously insane?

Thanks. please reply off list.
- Crossedout@aol.com