Re: Asian instruments

Acouple of things on this thread...

First, I'd say that the acceptance/non-acceptance of technology into Indian
music is largely a generational thing.  As mentioned, Talvin Singh uses
technology to GREAT effect on OK and his Asian Underground stuff.  As
Bobdog
says, the "Dream" cd is a keeper.  And, there's some instructive notes on
Srinivas' interest in technology on the sleeve.  I quote:

"Prior to this Srinivas hadn't worked very much with electronics, but he
was
interested in innovative ways of recording.  For example, he had never used
echo before but clearly he was aware of some of the possibilities of the
studio because he had composed a piece for the traditional record that
counted on him overdubbing his parts.  He ad a spirit of willingness to try
new things."

Zakir Hussein has also shown himself to be open to some of the
possibilities
of looping and electronics, thru his participation in projects involving
Mickey Hart/Planet Drum and Bill Laswell.  However, none of these are
"traditional" Indian musics, and I'd frankly doubt that you'd ever see true
overt looping devices in the traditional music (other than perhaps looping
the tambura, which is all a live tambura player does anyway, strums the
strings over and over....).

Second, I've been studying tabla for awhile now, and a couple of weekends
ago, I had the pleasure of spending most of the weekend studying with the
great Anindo Chatterjee, who was in town for a couple of concerts.  I never
did ask him about technology and/or looping because I was so involved in
tabla and trying to understand his English!  However, he seems to only be
interested in the traditional music.  To the un-initiated this may appear
that he's leaving out a world of expressive tools.  However, this man is a
serious human looper!  He don't NEED no STINKING machines!  I simply gaped
in astonishment as he demonstrated the sounds of 17 beats over 16 beats,
and
then, changed it to 11 beats over 14 beats, all the while, throwing in
different sounds and changing the accents on every "loop".  It was simply
un-freaking-believable!  I seriously think that he'd find all the techology
a MAJOR hinderance, rather than a "tool".  And its all in his head and in
his fingers...  All praise and respect to Anindo Chatterjee!

Regards,
Jim Lanpheer