Re: subharmonic synthesisers

At 8:48 AM 4/9/99, Steve Savage wrote:
>Has anyone ever tried using a subharmonic synthesiser unit with bass
>guitar
>sounds. I have heard them used to great effect with synth sounds
>(incredible
>doofs)! If they could work with electric bass I could have the phatest
>bass
>sound imaginable. Any comments?

Ooooh yeah, boyee, you can get a bass phat enuff to fill the baggiest of
pants....

Umm, ahem...I have DBX 120xp sub synth, love it. I believe I read somewhere
it's what Laswell uses. I was turned on to it by a friend who runs a live
sound company, he patches it into the main mix of his big system for added
"beef". I don't use it live, I really don't need a thicker bass sound when
I play live, but it does get a lot of use in the studio, on bass, kick
drums, even as a mastering tool on mixes that come in with a weak low end.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra