From: Cummings <r_t_cummings@csi.com>
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
Subject: Re: Loopable percussion (was: Tabla...)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 00:58:38 +0200

ok, i suppose this is going a little OT but ...

being a drum set player myself, i realized that we drummers do this
all
the time.
for example, we put gaffer tape folded into an accordion shape (just a
little) on floor toms, snares, etc to cut out any undesired *rings*
(=overtones), especially in studio situations. the drum head
manufacturer REMO has produced the black dot series for years. the
actual *mass* is much lower than that of the tabla thingy, but it
basically serves a similar purpose: eliminating overtones and lowering
pitch (btw, this was done a lot more often in the 70's than nowadays).

i also have a REMO frame drum with a specially developed head - it
really sounds/looks/feels like a natural skin with the big advantage
that it isn't humidity or temperature sensitive. has anything like
this
been developed for tablas?

James Pokorny schrieb:
> I don't see why a similar mass could not be applied even to a
> plastic drum head.  On the other hand, in extremes of humidity,
> the tabla skins (like any real drum skin) cannot sustain
> as much tension and go flat, sounding something like an old
cardboard box.