Re: error correction/Nicolas Collins

I've been hearing and reading quite a bit about Nicolas Collins lately (who
coincidentally studied at the school I now attend, though that has nothing
to do with how I heard about him), but I haven't been able to find his
stuff
anywhere.  However, Kim's remarks reminded me about an interview I read
with
him where he talks about his modifications to CD's and players.  The below
is excerpted from a longer interview at
http://www.art-bag.net/contd/issue2/collins.htm#f1

By the way, if anyone has more info on Collins or is familiar with his work
and where to find it, do share, off-list or on.

***
I started to do the CD-skipping-thing in '88 or '89, and used it a lot in
live performances, since I tend to do a lot of pieces that are based on
processing found sound material. In a nutshell, everything I do has to do
with sticking something into a machine and watching it come out different
at
the other end. I used to work a lot with cassette tapes, I put different
material in the left and the right channels and sort of distributed stuff
randomly over tape so you would never know exactly what you would get when.
And I started using CD players because I could remotely control them very
easily, to get access to different parts. I did some modifications in the
players just to see if I could manipulate the CD the way you can an LP --
scratching. I came up with a few very simple tricks whereby you can scratch
and cue and this kind of stuff.

MC: So you do the tricks on the CDs or inside the CD player?

NC: In the CD player. In terms of history, there were a number of artists
--
most particularly Yasunao Tone, a Japanese artists working in New York, who
did pieces where they prepared the CDs themselves. They discovered that if
you put crayon marks or cellotape on the CD, you can get it to do all sorts
of jingling stuff. But I went inside the CD player and looked, because I
suspected -- and I was right -- that the laser was always reading
information off the disc, even when you're on pause or moving from track
one
to track 30. It's always reading information, but the control computer
"censors" the output, decides for us what is music (i.e., the clean
playback) and what is "noise" (scratching, skipping). So I found that
control signal, marked "mute" and I simply flipped that pin off the chip so
that it could no longer mute anything. And that opened the door to the
inner
world of the CD: you could hear anything that the CD-player was doing at
any
time. Later I got in deeper and started to turning in and off the motor and
sled, slow it down, make things go backwards, typical screw-up things.
***

-Jesse