sound processing ideas

OK, I'm stuck.  I've got experimental musicians' block.

I was able to make a decent amount of synth-type sounds out of flute to
loop--using mostly reverb, echo, and various delay effects.  I still have
the song I used them for up on the web because I've been too unenergetic
to update my page with the new one, which I should have uploaded half
a month ago.  Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Here's the crux of the biscuit. Though my past experiment was successful,
I could not develop enough sounds to continually use for a whole album (or
half an album, which is what I have to fill).  I did some attempts at
vocoding, but all the software based vocoders are essentially pure crap.
So that's out.

And now I'm out of ideas.

What ways are there to completely mangle a sound, to make them sound
completely different (without ruining them to the point that the pitch
or timing is ruined), by unfairly abusing fairly run of the mill
effects?  I throw this out to the list, all you people who make wacky
sounds.  What are your favorite experiments, not in sound sources to
loop this time, but in modifying sound sources?
--
Listen to Grendel (ambient/signal music) at http://listen.to/grendel
  Note, my return address may be munged.  You make the call.  Though