Re: Boston

Dain,
I moved to Boston last fall from Burlington, Vt; here's my take on the
music
scene:  Alt-Rock still rules the clubs here (ya know a bill with six bands
on it all trying to sound like the Pixes or Pavement).  There is a Jazz
pulse but if you want a heartbeat go to New York.  In Boston you have to
seek out your musical experiences with a bit more diligence.  The most
interesting stuff seems to happen in random places, old churches,
galleries
and microscopic bars.  Good stuff does happen with reasonable regularity
at
the Somerville Theatre, the Middle East, and (occasionally) the Paradise;
of
course, who can miss The Fringe with Garzone and Gullatti on Mondays at
the
Lizard Lounge in Cambridge.  I've left out the Regatta Bar because I don't
like it, but it does feature top jazz performers (B.Marsalis, Abercrombie,
Either Orch., Sco...) in an "intimate setting".  The downside with that
place is that it's in the most exclusive hotel in Cambridge, the room is
sterile and the audience is generally a bunch of "refined" jazz conniseurs
who have kenny-g along side their copy of "Kind of Blue" (was that bitter,
sorry).
Berklee provides plenty of musicians but they seem to me to be off in
their
own little world; of course, if you want really scary horn players there
is
the New England Conservatory.  I've made some contacts but all the
musicians
I've met so far are either not interesting or are totally unreliable (come
to think of it that's kind of the way it goes everywhere; maybe I've just
run out of patience).
There are plenty of Music stores, my two current favorites are New England
Vintage guitars (a guitar/amp repair shop that doubles as the jawa set
from
Star Wars) and Mr. Music which has a great collection of used Guitars and
Amps.  There are also the usual suspects, Guitar Center (echo..center,
center)and Daddy's Junk Music.
That's my synopsis.  I've lived here for 8 months and I still haven't
really
figured this place out, either.  Perhaps I'm missing out on something in
Boston.  Anyone have some tips?  Is there a mecca I haven't discovered yet?