RE: Loop length query

>The fun in really long loops is, not only is the audience suprized when
>something they remember comes around again so long after they first heard
>it, the musician is too!

I have done a lot of those surprize loops lately. Even after 30 seconds, I
do not remember what I played and have to react somehow. I sometimes start
simply with a melody and then put a second and a bass line over it. Such
the harmonies become more or less defined and more can be elaborated.

I find it especially interesting to fade during some part of a long loop
and replace it with something new. Often there is an ostinato from a
multiplied original short loop which fades in that part and when it comes
back again, I feel like overdubbing to make it grow more even and then
relax more when the faded part comes back. Thus the dynamic increases and
you ride on a long growing wave like Gamelan or so.

I must admit though that many friends long for my old works with short
loops. They are easyer to follow.
I wonder whether loops naturally become longer with evolution and the
listener will like them better after listening more (and after we learn to
play them better :-)
Or whether we are just curious to squeeze out the marvelous long memory but
the stuck at some point...

*    Lots of music (samples), inventions (drawings), philosophy:
*         ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org
*    Archive and mailinglist about looping:
*         ---> http://www.annihilist.com/loop/loop.html