Re: It just goes...

I know this is getting pretty far out in OT land, but I often notice (or
maybe
just lapse into a particular state) that when in a "noisy" environment
such as a
crowded restaurant, an effort can be made to treat all of the various
sounds
(snippets of conversations, clinks of glass and silverware, etc., at
various
frequencies) in a detached or homogeneous way.  The result is a rather
smooth
cacophony that rises and falls with bits of recognizable verbage coming
occasionlly to the surface.  It takes a little effort to treat all of the
sound
sources in such an environment as totally equal with no intrinsic meaning
in
terms of language, etc., but the result is a very interesting and somewhat
exhilarating, "sound collage" experience.

This is probably brought on by many years of intense listening to music of
various sorts (including my own) and probably fostered my current interest
in
some of the more ambient derivations of electronica by groups such as the
Orb
and FSOL.  The point in all this?  Uh, well....

Steve