Re: [Fwd: Re: It just goes...]

> by the definitions of hypnosis the depth of the trance state is related
>to one thing: effortless concentration. this very simialar state is also
>reffered to as no mind in some asian cultures. to achieve this state one
>must be RELAXED. no ego. no mind. no worries. when you catch it it is
>a beautiful thing. i agree i've experienced THE feeling playing and
>listening. thinking about that exeprince makes me think: public
>performance was not in the mix. usually it involved playing With
>musicians i've played with a long time or alone...but never in front of
>a crowd. most of the time i'm thinking about what can go wrong and being
>self critical of each note i pick. that is a different feeling
>altogether for me.....comments?......jp

    John, I wouldn't have a clue as to what the state of relaxed attention
feels like if I drew exclusively from my performing experience. Like
practicing a riff, it's something I TRY to bring forth in performance,
having experiened it elsewhere. But as in daily life, if in performance the
primary thoughts are "what can go wrong and being self-critical..", then
things will go wrong and you will blame yourself for them. I am way off the
loop here, perhaps we should continue this discussion elsewhere. Which
reminds me, are there any other newsgroups/sites which discuss both
practical and spiritual/metaphysical aspects of music performance?