Re: Room sounds

Lou Harrison is the guy who built an instrument called the "american
gamelan".
They guy who did "I am sitting in a room..." was Alvin Lucier. He started
by
reading a paragraph that he wrote. It's pretty much like what you wrote
down
here. I think the 2 tape recorders were at opposite ends of the room. I
don't
remember how long he did it or how many repititions there were, but I'm
guessing
that it was about 20-40 minutes long. One of the really cool things about
this
piece was that he was a bad stutterer, and about halfway through the piece
you
couldn't tell the difference. By the end of the piece, there was no
perceptable
speaking part, but the many layers of recorded room ambience made a
synthesizer-like sound.

matt davignon