Re: Re: EDP Problem (loop fade)

Just great to see another mailing list quietly doing the impossible.
Community building, idea sharing and tech support all wonderfully tangled
up.

Anyway, I have exactly the loop fade problems described in the list with
the EDP (purchased new a few months ago in Australia, V5, Serial # EDP
2513). Below are my experiences with it, in the hope that it will help find
a solution.

I rarely turn the EDP off, except to clear this problem, so I'm not sure
about the warming up part. My experience has been that powering the EDP off
and back on sometimes clears the problem, but sometimes only partly clears
it, or has no effect. Better result  if I do a power on with the params
button on, but sometimes that doesn't change the low output level either.
If I wait a minute with it powered down before powering up (with params
pressed) it seems to clear completely every time (hmm, so heat has to be
part of the equation somewhere?).

Other observations:
The fading happens to a lot of my loops, not just occaisonaly
Increase in hissing noise as loop content fades
Fade is noticeable after a short time, and usually barely audible the next
day (sometimes it lasts longer)
The feedback light doesn't fade, just the music output level to the amp.
I have filled memory to the max. Had some inconsistent distortion problems
at first, but apparently cleared with re-seating the memory chips.
I play fairly open single note guitar lines to build loops, with gaps, soft
starts, long held notes fading away, etc.
Is it my imagination or do the volume levels change a bit randomly on each
loop cycle?

I did see a list item on this in the archive suggesting that overdriving
the input levels can trigger the problem. This is quite plausible in my
case. I'm using an electric guitar as the main input, and I like to work
with a large dynamic range.
(There is a bit of an issue with low levels and rough cutting-in on swells,
but perhaps one thing at a time.)

Hope this helps find a solution. Reading the Loopers EDP FAQ, it feels like
this problem (and perhaps the rough cut-in on swells) is a bit of a blast
from the past.

Ray.