Re: Synching EDP to a Drum machine (fwd)

> I'm thinking of getting one of those groove-samplers / drum machines and
> synching it to my EDP.
>
> 1. Can anyone offer recommendations as far as which drum/groove-sampler I
> should look at?
>       1a. Why?

Take a look at the Korg Electribe grooveboxes. There are two - the EA-1
(just bought one) is an analogue modelling synth/pattern sequencer
with sounds rather different to other units on the market and are
currently selling like hot cakes. You get two seperate channels with
two oscillators per channel, independantly editable with most of
the usual analogue synth controls + flange and delay.
The second ER-1 is the rhythm groovebox which sounds even whackier
(I think this has four oscillators per voice + LFO modulation)
but I couldn't afford one of these (yet).
These toys are 350 (pounds UK) a piece (I doubt you will see one
second hand for a while) but IMHO well worth it.
(this is the first e-mail in which I've used "IMHO", DoH!)

> 2. Any pitfalls or warnings about the synching process / set-up I will
>need?

The physical act of syncing is very easy. Decide which unit will
determine the pace, ie EDP or groovebox. Buy a MIDI cable.
Join "MIDI out" to "MIDI in" and set the clock source on the units
appropriately (eg clock=Ext on the groovebox).

The "artistic" act of syncing is as you would guess an art.
The way I tend to work is to start a short loop, multiply it up
and when it get really swirly bring in the sequencer (for God sake
you remember all those old Tangerine Dream albums). There are then
various way to play with the relative "speed" of the system
whilst maintaining sync. (see discussion of EDP "1/16th" function
for insight). I imagine it is all to easy to get thing desperatly
stretched or squashed but maybe thats just a piece of art looking
like a bit of junk until it get discovered and appreciated.

> At this point I only know how to spell MIDI.

Nonsense you have managed to spell many words
(a hell of a lot better than me).

off the play with my Electribe

Jim Carter