Re: backing solo performances

My philosophy on this sort of thing is the more traditional the backing the
more artificial it seems in a live setting.  You generally feel cheated if
you
hear a piano and don't see a piano, but if the backing track is more
abstract
in nature it seems to come off better.

I witnessed a very effective show by Stars Of The Lid recently where they
were
mixing pre-recorded drones from their records off of samplers and dats
while
playing over it and it didn't suffer in the slightest.