Re: Visual Volume

After posting my recommendation for it, I saw a few mention it's tendency
get scratchy easily.  I also had this problem and called the main guy at
Visual Sound (I think Robert Weil was his name, or something close).  He
had
me send it in and replaced the pot free of charge, even though I told him
bought it used.  Leads me to believe there was an upgrade in the part he
was
using since mine was manufactured, but I haven't had a problem since and
that
was a year or two ago.  He did recommend using a can of compressed air to
clean it out if it does develop static, and that the aerosol-type contact
and
electronic parts cleaners they sell can actually make matters worse.

As for someone who posted actually losing a lot of high frequencies, I can
assure you mine is so vastly superior to almost any other I've tried (the
small Rolls one did a somewhat transparent job but doesn't go down to
absolute zero) that it was immediately noticeable and worth hassling over
getting the pot replaced.

So, maybe my previously enthusiastic endorsement should be tempered with
the
caveat that there does seem to be some inconsistency among these units.

Ken R