Re: old school looper

I was recently given an Akai 8D half/quarter track analog reel to reel.
This is a cadillac with fins as reel machines for consumer use goes:
tube preamps and power amp with a speaker set the size of a 25" tv.

Anyhow,  Here is a question

The manual specifies an adaptor that can be used make continuous tape
loops. Since this thing is pre autoreverse, I wonder what it might be .
perhaps a cart style loop ? or would it be a simpler device.  I'd like
to try it for a bit before I sell it off (or chop out the preamps)

G. Wong